torsdag 13 juni 2013

Lost in communication

Mr Nottberg arrives at Ware, near London. He is to stay with Mr Smith, of Wych Street. He telephones from a call-box.

- Hallo?
- Who is that speaking?
- Oh, I´m Nottberg.
- You´re not Berg? Well, I don´t know any Berg.
- My name is Nottberg.
- Yes, I heard you the first time.
- I was told to phone you when I arrived.
- Arrived at where?
- Yes. When I arrived at Ware. I´m here now at the station and I want to speak to Mr Smith.

- I´m not Smith. I´m Knott.
- Oh, you´re not Mr Smith? Will you please tell me your namn?
- Will Knott.
- Why not?
- Haven´t the foggiest. Just a family namn, you know. Had it all my life. I´m simply Knott.
- Not what?
- No, it´s not Watt. It´s Knott. Do you want to speak to Mr Smith?
- Yes, please.

- He doesn´t live here. He lives in Wych Street.
- Which street?
- Yes. You cant miss it. Just get out of the station and take the right turning.
- The right turning? How many turnings are there? Which street is the right one?
- Exactly. Wych Street is the right one.
- I don´t know. That´s why I´m asking you.

- Well, there are two right turnings.
- Oh, well, one will be enough … as long as it´s right.
- But they´re both right.
- Oh.
- Listen, will you? If you don´t take the first turning, the one that´s left will be right.
- Good. Then I´ll take the left turning.
- No, don´t do that. You must take the right one. Not the first right one, but the one that´s left.
- Ah, I see. Now that´s sorted out. Thank you for your time. Can I call you again if I can´t find it?
- Sorry, old chap. Can´t do. Going to have my phone permanently disconnected.

.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar